Part of our functional medicine approach involves evaluating and treating the body’s biochemistry or metabolic imbalances. All systems and organs are linked together directly or indirectly. Therefore, it’s important to look closely at various patterns between organ systems and determine what underlying mechanisms are contributing to a person’s hormonal, nutritional and/or bio-chemistry imbalances.
Testing is performed using various types of blood, urine and/or saliva tests. Test examples include:
- Adrenal Stress evaluation
- Complete Blood Analysis, to include inflammatory markers
- Comprehensive Thyroid evaluation
- Gluten Reactivity & Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
- Male and Female Hormone testing
- Immune System evaluation
- Intestinal Function & Intestinal Permeability testing
- Food Sensitivity & Nutrient Deficiency testing
The above tests can reveal hidden factors that are preventing your healing, such as:
- Blood glucose levels – glucose and oxygen are needed by the brain to function properly.
- Abnormal cortisol levels – can lead to insomnia, bone loss, weakened immune system and hormonal imbalances to name a few.
- Food sensitivities and/or allergies increase inflammation in your gut, brain and entire body. Here is a limited list of the types of symptoms that this increased inflammation can lead to: chronic pain or fatigue, frequent indigestion, bloating after eating, frequent loose bowel movements, constipation, mouth ulcers or sores, nausea/vomiting, headaches and joint/muscle pain and stiffness.
- Antibodies that indicate autoimmune disease and other immune imbalances.
- Leaky Gut Syndrome – a condition of altered or damaged bowel lining, caused by antibiotics, toxins, poor diet, parasites or infection.
- Abnormal male/female hormone levels – can lead to depression, fatigue, mental fogginess, mood swings, hot flashes, sweating attacks, weight gain, decreased physical stamina, etc.
- Chronic Inflammation – Most patients suffering from any sort of chronic health condition, such as diabetes, peripheral neuropathy, migraines, depression, fibromyalgia and more WILL have some form of chronic inflammatory process.